Thursday, October 13, 2011

Introducing Thursday Theatre

When I clean, cook, sew, or do most any domestic task, I really like to have something happening in the background. My taste ranges from the driest documentaries to the most mainstream hits, and I've taken in quite a lot of information and culture while puttering around the house. I once learned all about the Cuban Missile Crisis while hemming a skirt, I sometimes work on my French listening comprehension while I clean, and I recently hung out with Hunter S. Thompson while making some marinated lamb over coconut rice.

This sort of thing is good for developing what my amazing high school English teacher used to call "cultural literacy" and it helps the work go more quickly. A lot of people tell me that they don't do various DIY projects because they get bored or distracted by something more interesting, so this is sort of an incentive to stick with it. You don't "have to" clean the bathroom; you "get to" listen to a new podcast!

Because various kinds of media and entertainment play such a big role in the way I practice the domestic arts, I want to share things I really like with you. I'll try to choose things that are either free or cheap, because being smart with money is part of domestic science! On Thursdays, I'm going to post little blurbs about things I think are great, and I hope you'll check them out and like them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment