Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thursday Theatre - Bill Cunningham New York

I enjoy both fashion and quirkiness, and so for today's Thursday Theatre I'm going to recommend a film called Bill Cunningham New York. I'm a big fan of The New York Times' style section, and although I always marvel over the wonderful pictures in its "On the Street" column, I must admit that I didn't know anything about the photographer.

I won't try to summarize the whole film or Bill Cunningham's life, but I will say that he's a delight. He's so taken with the artistic side of fashion, and he gets as much enjoyment out of photographing a random person's visually engaging t-shirt as he does from attending the couture shows in Paris. He's quite a character, and the film is full of his gorgeous work. He turned 80 years old during the filming of the documentary, and he still has more energy than I've ever had in my life.


If you have a Netflix subscription (still a great value in my opinion, despite recent craziness), you can stream the movie or get the DVD. If not, you can buy it on iTunes for $9.99. It also pops up in artsy-type theaters occasionally, so check the film's website for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment